Wednesday, January 10, 2007

13 things i make for dinner

here's my fourth ever Thursday Thirteen

1. skillet macaroni and cheese - cook 3 cups dry seashells. melt 2 cups mild cheddar in 3/4 c. milk, in a large skillet - do NOT let it boil! when it's all melted and combined, stir in the seashells and turn up the heat a little to thicken it up a bit. serve with raw baby carrots, raw broccolini, or green olives.

2. spaghetti - buy paul newman's sockarooni, brown 1 lb. ground beef and combine. if husband wins coin toss, serve over mostaccioli, if you win, over spaghetti. with whatever frozen garlic toast was cheapest.

3. salami and cheddar sandwiches with mustard, with raw baby carrots and either chips and dip or sun chips.

4. tangy fruity chicken - i got this recipe off one of the online recipe sites. i get chicken pieces with the skin on and bone in, but then i remove the skin. i put 2 breasts, two thighs, and 5 legs in a casserole pan. get two cans of sliced peaches in heavy syrup, and one small can of halved apricots in heavy syrup. pour the syrup into a bowl and arrange the fruit around the chicken. mix 1 tblsp of vinegar and 1 or 2 tblsp of curry powder into the syrup, then pour it all over the chicken. sprinkle crushed pistachios over the top. bake at 350 degrees or so for about 1 1/2 hours until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. i serve this with "seeds of change" brand moroccan lentil rice, and per the suggestion the back, i add dried apricots and slivered almonds, and sometimes raisins. i also serve steamed broccoli. this is possibly my favorite meal.

5. santa fe chicken pasta a la red robin - saute chicken tenders, onions, red and green bell peppers in a sauce made from store bought alfredo sauce doctored with about a tblsp or two of pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce [buy a can of chipotle peppers in adobo, puree them in the blender, and keep the puree in the fridge for a pretty long time]. serve over mostaccioli and sprinkle with fresh diced tomatoes. mmm...chipotles.

6. the chipotle-kissed sweet potato chili from robin robertson's "fresh from the vegetarian slow-cooker". but i use chicken broth instead of whatever liquid she has on the recipe, and i add a package of chicken tenders.

7. the farmhouse fricassee from the same cookbook, but i add a package of chicken tenders.

8. pot roast - baby carrots, big chunks of potatoes, an onion, possibly one or two celery stalks in the crock pot. use an english roast. i cut it into about 4 pieces so it will fit in my crock pot, dredge it in a bit of flour, and brown it in the skillet. then i put that in the crock pot and pour in about a half cup of beef broth. cook it on low for about 8 or 10 hours, i think. i serve this with crusty bread and green beans "sauteed" in olive oil with pine nuts, or boiled brussels sprouts, depending on the season.

9. chili - i use a mix or brooks hot chili beans, add beans if using a mix, add 1 lb. ground beef and sauteed onions and green peppers. serve with saltines and thinly sliced mild cheddar on each cracker.

10. nachos - i brown ground beef with a bunch of chili powder. on a sheet pan, put a layer of corn chips and shredded cheese, melt the cheese. this is my husband's idea. then add more corn chips. put globs of canned refried beans all over. sprinkle the ground beef, green pepper sliced length wise, you could do onions, too, canned black olive slices, fresh diced tomato, victoria jalapeno slices from the mexican food section of the grocery store, NOT from the pickle section, and more cheese. bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.

11. enchiladas - brown ground beef. mix in a big tuppy - a can of refried beans, a sauteed onion, 3/4 can of hot enchilada sauce, 1 cup of shredded cheese. i would mix the beef in, too, but husband wants some with no meat. put either beans or beans and some beef in about 10 corn tortillas, wrap, and put in a casserole. pour the rest of the can of hot sauce and another whole can of mild sauce over the top. sprinkle a bit more shredded cheese. bake for about 20 minutes at 350. i serve mexican rice from a box with this. i hope you got lots of veggies at lunch on this day.

12. chicken salad sandwiches - cook a package of chicken tenders. cut up really small. add chopped celery, a little onion or scallions, dried cranberries, toasted almond slivers. mix up with some real mayo. serve with baby carrots or other crudite, and cheddar goldfish crackers.

13. whew. sauerkraut and polish sausage. peel and slice 3 or four apples. i like to use sweet mild apples. i think other people like to use tart apples. i...do not. put the apples and the sauerkraut in a skillet and cook until the apples just start to get soft. then stir in 1/4 to 1/2 c. brown sugar, and a package of polish sausage cut into chunks. cook for about 10 more minutes or until the kielbasa looks appealing instead of gross. i serve this with a totally plain baked potato to counter how strongly flavored everything else is. haven't really found a veg that i like with this... any suggestions?

put a tossed salad in front of any of these for more vegetables. :-)

22 comments:

kooky kay said...

tangy fruity chicken? sounds yummy! will do that one next week.

Mine's up as well. Do drop by.

Christie said...

sweet potato chili! that sounds spectacular! thanks for stopping by! i'll have to use some of these!!!

ancsweetnsassygal said...

Great list. On the tangy fruity chicken...could you use fruit in light syrup rather than heavy?

My TT is up also.

Angelo said...

Whoaw, I'm suddenly really hungry! What a delicious list :9 Happy Thursday!

suchprettycolors said...

i've never tried light syrup, but if it's runnier, you might want to do something to thicken it up a smidge. :-) i'm sure it would be plenty sweet enough. i'm just always turned off by light spelled "lite" like it is on canned fruit, lol.

Lisa said...

Mmm, the tangy fruity chicken and sweet potato chili sound scrumptious! I should not be reading this after midnight, because now I've made myself hungry. LOL

Le laquet said...

The chicken sounds lovely! Unfortunately some of those ingredients I have never seen here, but I am so going to try the chicken! Have you ever tried your Brussels sprouts stir-fried? I halve them lengthways and stir-fry them with bacon bits (smoked lardons), shallots and a handful of chopped chestnuts ~ yum!

Raggedy said...

I am going to try 4 and 13. I have made most of the others on your list. How about lima beans for 13?
Thank you for sharing.
Great list.
Have a wonderful Thursday
My TT is posted

jj said...

You've made my mouth water!! What a great list this is, mmmm

I think I'm popping over to yours for dinner some time in the next week :p

Today I posted my first TT. It's jj-ate-one.blogspot.com :)

momtoanangel said...

Yum! Where's the potatoes? I am hungry now......lol

Leah said...

Mmmmn, makes me hungry. I'll bookmark your blog so I can come back for the recipes.
Thanks

Rene said...

I love pot roast. And I love crockpots. And I love easy recipes. I'd like to try that sweet potato chili.

Noillirac said...

Now you're making me hungry! That waffle at breakfast just didn't cut it.

suchprettycolors said...

it's funny you should say that, noillirac...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/suchprettycolors/353821718/

mistihollrah said...

These sound yummy! I am going to try some :-)

My TT is up...ways I plan to pamper myselft in 2007.

ali said...

so. hungry.
:)

Haley-O said...

ooo...this is good! I'm always looking for new ideas for dinner. Thanks!!

JohnH985 said...

Ok, now I'm hungry. I'm going to have to try some of those.

My 13 are up.

PG Cork said...

Awesome list! For #13, I think that you've got it right with the potato, perhaps you could go for mashed with a bit of roasted garlic, something to try for a bit of a change. What a fun blog...

Penny :)

Janet said...

Thanks, I'm hungry now!

elisheva said...

Mmmmmmm....I'm hungry too.

The German Girl said...

Aaaaaaaah, more food! I'm starving. Somebody please make dinner. LOL
My 13 are up.