Wednesday, January 24, 2007

TT #6 - 13 books i have only read once

here's my sixth ever Thursday Thirteen

a few weeks ago, i did 13 books i've read more than once, so i thought i'd do this one as a follow-up, so here it is:

13 books i have only read once

1. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke
i loved this...

2. The Beak of the Finch: A Story of Evolution in Our Time by Jonathan Weiner
I loved this, too.

3. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
ugh, i hated this...i think it was written by a computer program, like those v.c. andrews novels

4. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
i was 11 and trying to impress...it was torture to slog through...maybe i should give this one another try

5. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
this just didn't speak to me that much...i read it so that i could read #6

6. The Hours by Michael Cunningham
even though i didn't love mrs. dalloway as i was reading it, i felt fiercely protective of it when reading the hours...for some reason, i felt like michael cunningham was an interloper...probably just my radical feminist background rearing up against a man retelling a woman's book

7. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5) by J.K. Rowling
i've read all the others more than once...this one is just so grim

8. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
i found it a bit cloying

9. Silas Marner by George Eliot
i adored this

10. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
i only read this once [loooved it], but i revisited it in Jasper FForde's The Eyre Affair

11. Eragon (Inheritance, Book 1) by Christopher Paolini
i hated this and can't understand why the rest of you like it. i thought it was insipid.

12. Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
but i plan to read it again cause i loved it...and am heart broken that the movie didn't pan out

13. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
i read this in high school, and didn't care much one way or another, but i'm putting it here for my husband's sake, who hates it with a burning passion

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

I have yet to read any Harry Potter but it's on my to do list. The Great Gatsby I read in high school. I think that's what takes the enjoyment out of a lot of the classics...at least for me.

scribbit said...

Loved Dickens, Fitzgerald, Brontes, and all the HP books, but I rarely re read, there are so many others to explore out there :)

Janie Hickok Siess, Esq. said...

It's the rare book that I read more than once.

Come by and visit!

Silver said...

I've read a few of those too, and none more than once ;) Happy TT!

Alexis Jacobs said...

I've read most of these too, and only once. Now I am intrigued to read your list of books you have read more than once.

I'm up! http://ajpr2.blogspot.com/

scooper said...

I absolutely hated Mrs. Dalloway. I kept the book just in case I need it in the Masters program though.

Heather said...

I LOVE Good Omens. I have read it twice. What happened with the movie?

The Shrone said...

I agree about Eragon. It read like it was written using one of those formulaic guides to writing a fantasy novel. I do not understand why it is so popular. Good marketing, I guess!

Raggedy said...

I have read some of the books on your list. I also only read them once.
Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
My TT is posted.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Janet said...

The Half Blood Prince (book 6) was even grimmer!

L^2 said...

I've read all the Harry Potter books and loved Jane Eyre, but I don't usually make time to re-read, too many others waiting on the shelf.
Happy TT - mine is books this week too. :-)

suchprettycolors said...

thanks for your comments everybody! terry gilliam was going to direct good omens, but he got bogged down in the man of la mancha and the project died.

dawn said...

I usually only read books once (there's just too many on my to do list).
Have fun

Happy TT