Tuesday, April 17, 2007

my ironing board

my ironing board

My ironing board makes such a wonderful portable, adjustable height table. It even has a little shelf under the board to hold what I'm working on. I have the oversized one from Target...as you can see, it's seen a lot of use, the cover is pretty brown from ironing tons of cotton fabric with steam. I drag it back and forth across the room and even up and down the stairs, I use it standing up and sitting on the bed, for ironing and painting and whatever else needs to be done.

How do I get all of my work done with a 2-year-old around? Some of you have probably heard me say "I sew when Jack is with my husband or my mom, I iron when he's napping, and I pin when I'm at market." The bedroom is my work station when Jack is napping on the sofa. I love sitting on the bed, ironing napkins or placemats and watching a movie on the tv. I always have a huge bin of napkins that are cut out but need to be ironed and then top-sewn. There's something peaceful about knowing that I will just iron for as long as the baby is asleep, I don't have to worry about getting them all done. It's one of my favorite parts of the day.

4 comments:

Sandra Eileen - Artisan Jewelry For Your Good Life said...

It sounds like you have a great sysetm worked out.

Keep up the good work!

Gina said...

I admire you for getting anything done with a 2 year old around. Great idea for the ironing board. Mine is unemployed right now, so I think I'll put it to work!
Gina

marylea said...

I have always found ironing to be calming, too. It's a menial task that requires little thought and improves life. When I can stay in one place an iron, I am happy. Life is otherwise too hectic and full of complex tasks!

Washing dishes at a sink with a window is similar for me, but alas, I have not always had the luxury of that window above the sink to gaze out and let my thoughts go...

Keep up the good work. You manage very well!

suchprettycolors said...

Yes, I agree about washing dishes, too. I think the water is soothing even if you don't have a window. My energetic two year old is calmed by playing in the sink or taking a bath, too. :)