Monday, April 30, 2007

Processed Foods are Improving - Is it a Good Thing?

KFC and Taco Bell just announced that they are eliminating all trans fats from their restaurants. I've also noticed, while grocery shopping, that a lot of crackers and snacks are coming out with "whole grain" varieties. A lot of times the main ingredient is still white flour, they've just added a little whole wheat.

Is this a good thing? We're all concerned about putting good food in our bodies, and we are educating ourselves, though often through snippets and soundbites. I think the processed food manufacturers are throwing us a bone to get us to keep consuming their toxic "foods". Maybe you were thinking about heading over to the Food Co-op, the Farmer's Market, or Whole Foods, but now you think maybe you don't really need to, since mainstream food is "getting better".

But processed and fast foods are still full of questionably-produced, genetically-altered, pesticide-laden, toxic ingredients that are very different from whole, fresh, local foods. I say, turn back around and get over to the Farmer's Market. And don't forget to pick up some placemats from me while you're there. ;)

5 comments:

bellacolle said...

Hear!Hear! I'm with you on that. I try to by organic as much as I can..If not, atleast try and make things fresh. Don't get me wrong..I just gotta have a slice of pizza but, I have gotten to where we make it fresh, my boys love it.

Sandra Eileen - Artisan Jewelry For Your Good Life said...

Make my own too, but if overly stressed, somehow that Taco Bell sounds so tempting and easy and greasy and quick.

suchprettycolors said...

oh, yeah, don't get me wrong...i do plenty of things that don't live up to my ideals, :). we actually eat many processed foods. but we still aim for that ideal. i just listened to Barbara Kingsolver and her husband talk about their new book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life", on NPR, about eating locally and mindfully...it must've inspired me. :)

msbelle said...

I agree. I didn't do a garden this year but next year maybe I will. I'd love to buy organic all the time. Seems the 'natural' thing to do. I don't understand why a lot of times it's more expensive though.

Sandra Eileen - Artisan Jewelry For Your Good Life said...

Hey, I posted about Barbara Kingsolver's new book a few days ago, missed her on NPR,

BTW, you have been tagged. Please visit my blog to discover the rules of the game and Have Fun.

Sandra Eileen
http://artisan-jewelry.blogspot.com/